Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tuesday, Sunday, and Monday

Last week is a blur. It took me a moment to figure out when I made chicken and veggies. Really?
Ok so let's assume that was Tuesday night. I basically took my big dutch oven, put veggies in the bottom and a whole chicken on top. Then put it in the oven and baked it for about an hour and 1/2.
It was tasty but since i didn't do it in the roasting pan like I normally do - it wasn't as crispy. So - lesson learned.
I am not so good at photographing food....
Next up, Sunday night - super easy meal. I was worn out from my exam on Friday and Saturday, then we went to the Texans Game on Sunday - so dinner was not about to be fancy.
We picked up some marinated chicken from HEB, pesto, and pasta.
While Lee grilled the chicken I mixed some pesto with some milk in a sauce pan. While that came to a simmer I mixed a little butter, flour, and milk in a measuring cup to make a roux to thicken the sauce.
This was really yummy and earthy.
Then last night, I had dinner going in the crock pot. A long time ago, the crock pot was my favorite appliance. Nowadays... not so much. This thing will cook the bejesus out of everything. I even came home at lunch so that the food wouldn't be going from 7am to 7pm. Still, even 7 hours of cooking was enough to make the chicken dry. :(
Otherwise, it's a great meal. Maybe try chicken thighs over breasts since they have a little more fat to hold in moisture.
Italian Chicken over Pasta:

12oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts/thighs
1 9oz package Italian green beans (I can't ever find these, I like to use frozen French green beans because they are thin and mix well with the pasta later)
1 cup fresh mushrooms (i use frozen, quartered - but you can use fresh too..)
1 small onion, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1 14oz can Italian Stewed Tomatoes
1 6oz can Italian tomato paste
1 teaspoon (or more!) Italian seasoning
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 oz fettuccine, cooked and drained
Shredded parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Cut chicken in to 1 inch pieces, set aside.
2. place green beans, mushrooms, and onion in slow cooker. top with chicken.
3. in a bowl, mix tomatoes, paste, and seasonings. pour over chicken

Cook: High - 2.5 hours, Low 5 hours.

Cook and drain fettuccine. Serve chicken mixture on top of noodles, sprinkle with cheese.

No comments: