Saturday, December 12, 2009

Spaghetti with Turkey Meatballs

Tuesday night I made one of my favorite meals of all time - Spaghetti and Meatballs. Nothing puts me in a good mood like that meal. I could eat it every day.
After much trepidation, I decided to share the entire recipe, not just the meatballs. I am pretty guarded about my sauce recipe!

Sauce:

2 pounds canned diced tomatoes
(about 2 large cans)
6 oz tomato paste

8 oz or so tomato sauce
(i ended up using almost 2 cups since it thickened up too much)
6 oz water

1 onion, diced
1 clove garlic (or more) minced
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce

2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon oregeno

1 small can mushrooms

Combine first 6 ingredients and simmer 10 minutes. Add rest, simmer 1 hour.

Meatballs:

1 pound ground turkey

3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs

3/4 cup parmesan cheese

fresh basil, chopped

1 egg, beaten

¼ cup milk

salt and pepper

combine all in a bowl and mash together. If meatballs don’t want to stay in a ball, add a little more breadcrumbs to help hold together.

Add meatballs to sauce and simmer 30 minutes.

Feel free to add / omit as you see the need. You can use ground beed instead of turkey if you want. I just have gotten used to the turkey meatball and feel a little healthier!

I like to only use high end tomatoes when making spaghetti - since it is the heart of this dish. My favorite brand is Cento. And i used "Chef Chopped Tomatoes" for this round and loved the end result!


No comments: