Monday, June 13, 2011

Ground Turkey Enchiladas with 2 cheeses

Last night I made enchiladas to fulfill a craving and to use some some ground turkey. We make Turkey Tacos ALL THE TIME so I figured we would like enchiladas.

First, I was inspired to make my own sauce from this recipe at For the Love of Cooking

I got the sauce started and then I got to work on shredding some cheese.

I recently discovered that if you shred your own cheese, it is 10 times better than what you buy already shredded. I think this is because there is cornstarch in the bag to help the pre-shredded variety not stick together. Seriously, check out a bag of shredded cheddar - it has a white coating on it...

Monterrey jack, yummmmm

After I was done with the cheese I started on the meat.

Turkey can be a challenge. It can be very blah if you don't season it right. I added 3 palmfulls of taco seasoning and a can of rotel to give it some spice.


By this time, the enchilada sauce was ready to go into the food processor.

Yum-friggin-O.

Time to assemble enchiladas!





 Then I popped them in the oven, fed the baby, cleaned the kitchen (which was all a mess after making this!) and they were ready...

Lee LOVED this, said the sauce was "kick ass!" and I suppose that means I need to make it again...

I hope you are inspired to make enchiladas now!

10 comments:

Alice said...

That is the only way I eat cheese is to buy the big block of it and shred it or slice it myself. It is a RULE from PW!! But it is something I have always done. To me it's cheaper also.

Alice said...

and if you ever run out of taco seasoning...this is another trick I learned from PW...

“Taco seasoning” mix: toss in a tablespoon or so of chili powder, paprika, and cumin.

Carlin said...

I AM INSPIRED!!!! GOING TO MAKE THIS!!!!!!

Jessica DeWitt said...

how did you keep your tortillas from tearing while assembling! sometimes i want to through my freakin' pan out the window!

Emily Thompson said...

yum! Wanted to invite you to come on over to my tasty Tuesday link party! http://nap-timecreations.blogspot.com/2011/06/authentic-fried-rice-tasty-tuesday-link.html

Ashley said...

Oh wow these look really good! And not totally complicated either which is good for me.

Elena (Running in Heels After Child) said...

I love enchiladas, left overs are really tasty with a fried egg on top for breakfast.

I always make my own sauce but I never roll my enchiladas I just layer them, it goes much faster and I am lazy.

Enjoy,

elena

Alida Sharp said...

I love enchiladas and I am not sure why I have never tried to make them... gotta remedy that. Thanks for the recipe!

Donna Elick said...

I saw the post on For The Love of Cooking, it looked delicious. But, now I am doubly convinced I need to make some enchiladas!

Mama Bub said...

Those look yummy and I have a ton of ground turkey to use up. Also, I totally agree about bagged cheese. ICK!