Sunday, November 1, 2009

Back on healthy

So after a not so healthy week of:
Chicken N Dumplings (mainly because of the amount of butter I use in the base...)
Stir Fry with Sesame Noodles (not too unhealthy right?)
and Enchiladas (no comment)
I got a comment from Lee - "Can we start eating healthy again?"
Ouch.

So now we are on a healthy bandwagon. Mind you, I am not going over the top with this, but at least trying.

We will ignore the food he requested for lunch today to watch football (*coughs* wings *coughs*)

This week's menu:
Sunday - Roasted Chicken and Veggies with rosemary rolls
Monday - Proscuitto and Brussell sprouts with whole wheat pasta and parmesean
Tuesday - Grilled Salmon with a lemon butter drizzle (not sauce) with green beans, tomatoes, and mashed potatoes (small portion)
Wednesday - Chicken and steamed veggies, possible side of rice
Thursday - Grilled whole wheat pizza

See? not super duper but better than enchiladas... i guess.

Last Thursday, the weather was awful and I couldn't make it to the store so it was time to raid the pantry.
I had frozen chicken, frozen green beans, and some rice. I moved forward with that.

I thawed the chicken in luke warm water for about an hour, then pounded then a little thicker with my meat tenderizer mallet. That was kind of nice for stress actually...
Then I put them in my cast iron skillet with non-stick spray, salt and pepper, a little Tony's and cooked them through.
In the meantime, I made some rice and boiled the greenbeans for a few minutes.

I tossed the greenbeans with salt and pepper and a little parmesean cheese before serving.
We really enjoyed this on-the-fly healthy meal.
And for anyone reading this that doesn't know what I meant by Tony's - I'm sorry. Maybe this will help:
This is a staple among many many households in Texas, right next to the salt and pepper. Best stuff ever!

Our pitiful fall garden finally produced something - enough green beans for one!
I am starting to think I should go back to only one blog, but I don't want to give up either one.
Decisions, decisions.

No comments: