Monday, November 23, 2009

Long weekends are nice

I have started cooking a nice breakfast on Saturdays since I am off on Friday and have that whole day to rest (kind of...) and grocery shop and all that. This weekend I made eggs benedict with hashbrowns! It was super delicious! Lee really really liked it alot.That is hashbrowns on the bottom, canadian bacon in the middle, and then the poached egg with green onions on top.
The down side to this dish is - the dishes.Then later in the day I treated Lee and made his favorite holiday treat - chex mix!Um...A LOT of chex mix! I don't put in the pretzels - but i put in plain goldfish this time and it's great! Those little suckers soak up all the spices and .... butter.

So anyway, then Sunday I made a spin on Beef Bourguinon. This is a crock pot version with beef short ribs instead of beef tips. It was SO TENDER and yummy...
I also steamed some new potatoes on the side and made fresh french bread in the breadmaker. Wonderful meal with Don and Donald to witness it. Lee can't always be the only one witnessing my culinary masterpieces!
I am posting a link to one of my favorite Beef Bourguignon recipes from Ina Garten (Barefoot Contessa) and it is what introduced me to this dish. I have a quickie version from Real Simple that is great in a pinch when you want this meal but just don't have like 2+ hours to mess with it. I will post that as well.

Barefoot Contessa Beef Bourguignon

Real Simple's Quick Beef Bourguignon

Ingredients:

Olive oil

1.5 pounds sirloin steak cut into 1 inch cubes, seasoned with salt and pepper

1 10 ounce package sliced mushrooms

1 16 ounce package frozen pearl onions

2 cups red wine (Chianti is a good one, but anything will really work) If not using, beef stock is ok. but just use the wine! it is so good with it!

1 can Campbell’s golden mushroom soup ( do NOT substitute with regular mushroom soup!)

Thin baby carrots

Flat leaf parsley

In a large deep skillet over medium-high heat, cook steak until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer steak to a bowl, set aside.

Add the mushrooms and onions and carrots to the pan and cook until any liquid has evaporated. Add wine and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the soup and ¼ cup water and bring to a boil. Add the steak and simmer, 2 minutes.


Divide into bowls and sprinkle with parsley, if using.






No comments: