Wednesday, March 31, 2010

This week's easy dinners..

Sunday, I took a pork loin from the freezer and threw it in a baggie in some marinade, and let it thaw in the fridge over night.
By the time I was ready to cook it on Monday night, it was good to go.
This is super easy and very hands off, so you can do other chores things while
it's in the oven.
I cut about 8 baby red potatoes in half, cubed a large onion, and cut up some carrot
s into medium chunks. I spread this in the pan with a little oil, salt, pepper, and Cacherey's, laid the pork on top, and roasted for about 45 min in a 400 degree oven.
Whala!
Tuesday night I got home and started homemade pizza dough. This is the easiest thing ever, and you will never look back.

Ingredients:
1 cup very hot water
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 packet Rapid Rise yeast
a few pinches of salt
2 tablespoons oil
more all purpose flour (about 1/2 cup total)

Combine the 2 cups of flour, yeast, salt, and water in a large bowl. Start mixing together, and add oil. Start kneading in the bowl. Add about 1/4 cup of flour, to make the dough get a little softer and smoother.
Lay on a flour surface and knead about 5 minutes. Cover with a clean kitchen towl and let rest for 10 minutes. Turn the oven on to 375 degrees.
While it's resting you can start preparing your other pizza ingredients.
I like to sautee about 1/2 onion with 2 cloves of garlic, then add in 3/4 of a 12oz can of crushed tomatoes. Once that gets bubbly I turn the heat off and add about 4 spoonfulls of pesto (I like the Buitoni brand).
Around now your dough is ready. Roll it out to fit your pizza stone (if cooking on the grill) or pizza pan. spread sauce on your dough (as much as you like. I tend to add alot of sauce!)
Next add your toppings. I decided to use some left over smocked chicken from Sunday night, then the left over mini-mozz balls from last week's dinner (i cut them in half) and about 1/4 bag of 2% shredded mozzarella cheese.
Sprinkle a little salt, pepper, and italian seasoning on top and pop in the oven about 15 min or so...
Done!
I also served this with a salad, which we have been having before every meal this week. It helps fill you up. Oh, and a bottle of Skinney Girl margarita. YUM.

Tonight, Lee is out at a work function so I am on my own. Trying to use up more of that chicken, I chopped up part of the chicken breast, and tossed it with lettuce and caesar dressing.

Now I am watching my guilty pleasure shows while drinking a little white wine with sleeping puppies on the sofa.

1 comment:

Donald said...

The pork loin was tasty.

The margarita - that stuff is sneaky!!