Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chicken Salad

I love chicken salad. I mean I LOVE IT.

But - I am also picky about it.

No fruit. Not even grapes. MAYBE you could get green apple in it but I would have to be in the right mood...
Jason's Deli puts pineapple in theirs and it's... BAD.

Pecans or almonds are a must!

So let's get to how I make mine shall we?

First - do yourself a favor and get a rotisserie chicken. Canned chicken tends to be salty and the rotisserie adds a nice flavor..

Here is what you will need:Thank you Pioneer Woman for this idea!

1/2 cup of whipping cream
1 rotisserie chicken, mainly white meat
Celery - conveniently chopped at the store for you
Red onion - chopped/diced
Mayo - ONLY HELMANN'S!! ... sorry for the outburst.
Not pictured - pecans and brown sugar.

First toast the pecans in about 1/2 a tablespoon of butter and about a teaspoon of brown sugar:Meanwhile - chop the chicken into bite-sized chunks:In a large mixing bowl, whip the cream with a whisk until slightly thickened and foamy. Then add the pecans, celery, and as much red onion as you like. I only added a little...Then add in the chicken and about a 1/2 cup of mayo. I really only use it for the "glue"..

I add pepper, but not salt. A reason for this is that rotisserie or canned chicken tends to be a little salty already - so I wait to salt it when I have mixed and taste tested... Ok MIX!Now taste and salt as needed. It's best to chill this for an hour or so to let the cream thicken up on it's own a little more.

I like to put some on a bed of lettuce with a little creamy Parmesan dressing, pine nuts, and Parmesan cheese.. or on bread with crisp lettuce and some Parmesan cheese.

Sometimes, if I am feeling frisky, I add a little pesto to the mix.. but lately I have just wanted it plain and simple.

Or I like to eat it out of the mixing bowl when no one is looking.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Diane Haynes said...

I love chicken salad too.
No grapes?? At least you like green apple sometimes!
No, this is fabulous and you are right, keep it plain and simple.
Delicious!!!
Thanks for all the great recipes!!

Susannah said...

Breann this looks SO GOOD! This might be my lunch a few days this week!