Saturday, September 5, 2009

I HAVE been cooking!

I have just not been posting... sorry!!

First - Grilled Pizza - AGAIN. (Thursday night)
So good. So easy and cheap.
This is a whole wheat dough with a homemade marinara, marinated mozzarella, prosciutto and pepperoni. Ooooh yeah.

Next - (Tuesday night) I have been experimenting with sauces. I have found a whole grain pasta, simple sauce, and grilled chicken can make a wonderful meal in no time at all.

First - I tried a pesto cream sauce. I had my homemade pesto so I combined 1 tablespoon flour with 1 tablespoon butter to make a thickening agent - then slowly wisked in some cream. I didn't measure... maybe 1 cup to start?? Depends on how much you are making. Slowly add it in so that you don't get lumps. Then I added about 2 - 3 tablespoons of the pesto. Lee walked over and said "make more." So i added more cream and pesto. I added a little salt and pepper and whisked away until I liked the consitency.
I had marinated some chicken breasts in basil, oil, salt and pepper. They turned out so crispy and juicy - i just can't describe!
This photo is BAD - the flash washed it out and no amount of photoshop would fix it...
Anyway - i shaved a little parmesean with my carrot peeler, a little white wine... done!

Next - (tonight) same dish - with marinara.
I can't tell you how easy this marinara is. It really is 4 ingredients.
1 can whole peeled tomatoes
1 small white onion, diced small
3 cloves garlic, diced small
basil and italian seasoning.
The tomatoes I used were advertised as San Marzano, sweet plum tomatoes. I love them!
I marinated the chicken the same way as above, and diced some fresh basil and grated some fresh parmesean cheese. Magnifico!
So I suppose it seems I have been feeling the Italian vibe! I can't help it...
I am so glad fall is around the corner! Soups, stews, chili's... oh my!
Tomorrow we are headed it the Astros game and then maybe a quiet night. Monday is a Labor Day celebration with ribs, baked beans, sheet cake, salad, and bread.
Pictures to come for sure!

No comments: