Friday, September 18, 2009

Success and Defeats

This week i had a surprise success at one meal, and a defeat at another.

Wednesday night we had pot roast. I had a can of cream of mushroom soup, but I normally use Golden Mushroom. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a recipe on the back of the cream of mushroom that said "slow cooker pot roast." So I mixed the can of soup with 1 packet of beefy oni0n soup mix, placed veggies and the roast in the slow cooker and spread the soup mix on the meat. My house smelled divine when I got home from work and the meal was REALLY good!

Thursday night I was trying a recipe out of this month's Real Simple magazine - Spicy Orange Glazed Chicken. I enjoyed this, actually. You mix 1/4cup orange marmalade with about a tablespoon of chili-garlic sauce (spicy, in the Asian aisle at the store) and glaze the chicken when it is about 10 min from being done. I served this with green beans and some "smashed" potatoes.
Lee sort of liked it but the bitterness you can get out of a marmalade was too strong for him. He HATES marmalade. So where most people would just move on and be like "that was good!", he was like "AHHH! MARMALADE!" He ate it, I cried, then we had brownies.

He did like the tangy/spicy glaze so now I am looking for a good asian style glaze for chicken. No marmalade allowed.

If you like Pinot Grigio and are looking for a good, cheap one, go for a brand called Masi. I loved it. It was a little heavier, closer to a Charnonney. It went well with the chicken (for whatever it's worth.)

No comments: