Saturday, May 23, 2009

Saturday in the kitchen

Usually I spend my sundays cooking, but this weekend is kind of busy so I did it today. Lee went to a crawfish boil and I decided that I would have more fun cooking and relaxing with my puddies.

My boss, Alyse, had little baby Ariana about 10 days or so ago and so I wanted to make her some food.
It is scary cooking for her - she is particular. I was thinking King Ranch Chicken, but Jimmy beat me to that one. So I decided on Chicken Enchiladas.

I also decided, since I had all day, to make Bolognese sauce and homemade pasta. I have made homemade pasta before it was not so great. It came out a little dumpling-ish. I finally figured out that I had not rolled it thin enough with my past roller. So I was braver this time and I think it will be great!

I will say I got the idea for this meal from Pioneer Woman. I used her recipe - you can find it here.
I started out getting out my ingredients so that I would be ready.These jars were a great find at Lee's parents house when they were moving. I love the look and how air tight they get. I need a few more for sugar...I got the Bolognese sauce going first. I love my dutch oven, it is great.

Then I got to work on the pasta. This was really easy, actually... again - recipe here. Now, on her site, they just rolled it with a rolling pin really thin, and it looked alot like the noodles I had made this one time... I happen to have a hand crank pasta machine so I rolled mine until almost paper thin. And now I almost want to roll them even thinner because I know they will plump in the water...

The silver kitty holds my ring so i don't get goo all in it!
In the meantime, I was also making Brownie Cookies, which are in this month's Martha Stewart Food and holy crap are they yummy. Just like the name - a fudgy cookie!I am at this point totally worn out, so I think I will throw the enchiladas together tomorrow morning and be done with that! I was also going to make her some Oatmeal cookies, but I know she likes brownies so I thought maybe she will like these cookies. I will make the oatmeal ones later!

Enchiladas and recipe (i made this one up) tomorrow!

1 comment:

Donald said...

looks yummy...and the baby is cute!