Saturday, April 9, 2011

Local and Organic

Lee and I have recently embraced organic. We have always wondered "Is it really worth it?" Yes. Yes it really is.

We started out the day going to the local Farmers Market. We have tried before and were a little let down with the selection. However when we turned the corner and saw the 40 white tents this time, we got pretty excited!

We strolled Logan around in his stroller and picked out lettuce, carrots, bok choi, cheese, yogurt, and even chicken.

We have decided, that if we are going to go organic, we will make it a lifestyle choice AND a way to lose a little weight. See, organic is a little more expensive, especially the meat. To help balance the difference, meat will no longer be the main focus of our meals. We will fill up on fruits and veggies with meat being more like the "side."

I am immediately hearing the mother on Big Fat Greek Wedding...

What do you mean you DON'T EAT NO MEAT!
Tonight I roasted a whole chicken (organic from the market) with carrots, potatoes, and onion.
I also roasted an artichoke (2 for $5 at Whole Foods!) and made a big salad.
First I cut up the veggies and put them in a pan with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then I salt and peppered the chicken and gave it some lemon implants:

 Ooh La La. What a preeeety chicken you are!

While that roasted I also had the artichoke going. Meanwhile it was Logan bath time and bottle time.

Once everything was out of the oven, I put together the salad and Lee made our plates.
There was also some pesto bread from the market that we heated up in the oven. It was a really wonderful meal.

So we ate half the chicken and saved the other half for another night. It's seriously crazy how small a chicken seems when it's organic and not hopped up on 'roids and stuff. We usually would have sat and ate that whole chicken but we made sure to fill up on the veggies instead.

I hope this becomes a lifestyle choice that helps us feel better and ingest less pesticides. 

6 comments:

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Hi there! I love that reference to My Big Fat Greek Wedding. I am from Houston too :) I was wondering where you usually go for the Farmers Market. We are only back in Texas for a short time during the year, but when we are back I miss this (I am in Germany right now and they have these everywhere). Anyways, looks like a delish meal! Really glad I got to stop by from COmment Love Day :) Have a great one!
http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

Katie @ Chicken Noodle Gravy said...

I wish the hubby and I could commit to organic. I think it's such a wise and healthy decision. Your meal looks wonderful. Thanks for stopping by my blog; I'm glad you did, because I got to discover your's!

Donald said...

sorry - couldn't get the lemon implants bit out of my mind while reading.

yay for healthy eating!

Anonymous said...

I've slowly tried to incorporate organic fruit/veggies in to my meal planning but the cost is killing me a little bit. I have to be kind of thrifty about it, but now that it's spring time again and the local farmers market is open again I'm in heaven! :-)

AiringMyLaundry said...

Oo, I love roast chicken and veggies.

Hannah {Culture Connoisseur} said...

Haha "What do you mean you don't eat meat? That's fine, I'll serve lamb."

Great movie!

I notice a huge difference going organic, and in times when I can't afford that, just going non-organic from the market is better because the food is much fresher and more full of nutrients because it was harvested at the right time.