Tuesday, May 10, 2011

I hate your recipe

Dear Barefoot Contessa:

1. What IS a Barefoot Contessa anyway?
2. I made your Engagement Roast Chicken a few nights ago and I had a few issues with the recipe.

First, it doesn't call for veggies at all. So when you try and wing it, you are left guessing how it will turn out. Then there is the issue with Roasting the chicken itself. You say:

"Roast the chicken for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and a thigh. Remove the chicken to a platter, cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest for 10 minutes while you prepare the sauce, leaving the lemons and onions in the pan"



I roasted it exactly that long, the juices were clear, and what happened when I cut down the breast?

Raw towards the middle.

REALLY?

So what did I do?

I flung put the sonofabitch bird into the microwave!

YEAH I DID!

Then the sauce. You say:

"Place the pan on top of the stove and turn the heat to medium-high. Add the wine and stir with a wooden spoon to scrape up the brown bits. Add the stock and sprinkle on the flour, stirring constantly for a minute, until the sauce thickens. Add any juices that collect under the chicken. Carve the chicken onto a platter and serve with the lemons, onions, and warm sauce."


Ok I did that... but half the onions were removed into my little dish with the potatoes and carrots I had added...

 When it was all said and done, it was very very yummy. Lee wasn't a fan of the super lemony sauce, but Donald loved it.

Any recipes out there piss you off?

4 comments:

Donald said...

A barefoot contessa is a woman who ignores a "make-a-wish" request...

...and gives bad cooking advice.

In Lee's defense of the sauce, I love the taste of lemon, so I had a very biased taste. I don't think it was too lemony, but lemon is one of those flavors that people don't seem to straddle the fence on for like/dislike.

Jacqui' said...

Maybe you shouldve had it breast side up. Thats probably why it was rare.

April said...

I hate it when recipes don't work out!

Frugally Green Mom

Mary Bergfeld said...

When working with her recipes it helps to have the bird at room temperature. I have better luck that way. I'm new to your blog and have been poking around. You've created a lovely spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary