Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Butcher Block...

The butcher block in my kitchen isn't just any ole butcher block. It wasn't purchased in a store or made by some guy in another country...

It was hand made from old box-car flooring by my Papa many years ago. He only made 4 and I happen to have one!

It has nicks and scratches from many meals prepared on top of it.

We have added a few things to it to make it functional in our home.
Beer opener - for Lee
 
Towel bar


And it makes a great wine holder while I am cooking

Oh and hides the dog food containers...
 But some other personal touches were added to it long before it landed in my kitchen
My cousin added his name and his favorite word to the leg.

Do you have something special in your kitchen?

7 comments:

Diane Haynes said...

Yes, I have a beautiful butcher block also made with Love :)

S said...

Just found you over at The Album--and I love the story behind your butcher block. (I'm a sucker for furniture stories...) Anyway, great blog & Happy Sunday!

Elena (Running in Heels After Child) said...

I have a kitchen aid, not just any kitchen aid but my dads. I remember him using it when I was a kid. He died nine years ago and the kitchen aid is almost 25 years old, it lives on my counter and I use it all the time.

Best,

elena

Elena (Running in Heels After Child) said...

I have a kitchen aid, not just any kitchen aid but my dads. I remember him using it when I was a kid. He died nine years ago and the kitchen aid is almost 25 years old, it lives on my counter and I use it all the time.

Best,

elena

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

OHHH!! I love this! My dad makes various things like this (Like those coolers that are in the tall wooden case), but I bet he could make one of these with the right wood. Great idea!

Sarah said...

My grandfather made a butcher block as well, and it's so sweet! I love having it - and yours is so pretty!

Laura@The Oily Cupboard said...

u have a gem on ur hands!!! i'd kill for a butcher block anything!!!