Friday, April 17, 2009

Bad Blogger! Bad!l

I am a bad food blogger. I cooked a yummy dinner tonight and forgot to take a single photo. Taking photos crossed my mind several times, but my brain is scattered today so I forgot.
Until each dish was cleared and put in the dishwasher. Then I was like "dadgum."

But, on the bright side, I cooked something anyone and everyone can cook. Tacos! Lee was so excited, we hadn't had basic tacos in a very very long time.

The only thing i did different was use a new spice, that I love, from Penzeys.

Simple Tex-Mex Tacos

Ingredients:
2 pounds very lean ground beef (about the only healthy-ish thing at all in this...)
1 can rotel
4 - 6 tablespoons taco seasoning (you can use mccormick but beware - it contains MSG)
6 good shakes of the Tabasco bottle
1 tablespoon cayenne or chipotle pepper powder
1/2 large onion, diced

Garnishes:
shredded pepper jack cheese
chopped tomato
chopped ice berg lettuce (about the only place this lettuce is acceptable!)
sour cream
whatever else your heart desires

Start by sauteeing the onion in oil until soft and translucent. Add ground beef and cook through. I didn't see the need to drain grease because the meat was so lean. I also found that cooking the meat at a high temperature cooked off the grease rather quick.
Add seasonings and stir well and let simmer a few minutes, until thick. Add rotel and cook a few moments to heat through and let everything party together in the skillet. (warning, I am on my 3rd beer).

Place all garnishes on the table along with a plate of warm tortillas (crispy or soft, whatever floats your boat) and put the meat in a cute bowl alongside. This is a little more fun and sofisticated than everyone in line at your stove... but if I was still without dishwasher, the stove buffett would have been the winner!

Serves 4 people comfortably, or 3 total piggies, like we were. Something about having tacos was nostalgic and college like. We had enough left over to eat nachos or something tomorrow.

I have yet to find already shredded pepper jack cheese. I always have to buy a block and shred it myself. This sucks but you have to think back to where people used to always have to shred it themselves. I am a bit spoiled with today's convenience! And out of all the things, I do not own a nice box grater. Just a stick grater/zester. Feel my pain yet?

No comments: