Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Spicy Stir Fry

Once upon a time, I was burned out on stir fry. It was easy so I made it alot, then my grandmother caught on and got those bags of frozen stir-fry veggies and made it all the time - so before you know it... STIR FRY's GALORE!

For a long time, I never made them. Then I started again and they were bland and just all soy sauce-ish. I decided that if I wanted to make one, it would need spice.

I have been tinkering with a good sauce for awhile and I think I finally have it.
Bear with me, i don't measure so I have to guess.

Spicy Stir Fry

1/2 cup soy sauce (try the low sodium, you won't notice)
1 tablespoon Sirachi hot sauce (or chili paste, both found in the Asian aisle)
1 tablespoon ground ginger (or 1/2 tablespoon fresh minced ginger)
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar (no, regular is not a good substitute)
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup water
Meat of your choice (chicken or beef will work)
1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
1/2 onion, cut into medium chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
Green beans, carrot, snow peas, sugar snap peas - whatever you like. I would cut the carrots into little strips so they soften in the skillet easy
2 cups rice (i cheated and used boil in a bag. and i used 2 bags - so 4 cups...)

If you have never heard of the Sirachi sauce, I recommend it but beware - it's HOT!

Start out by prepping all your veggies, it is essential to move quickly in a stir fry.
Combine first 5 ingredients in a small bowl, whisking together. Add/subtract to your taste.
Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl, whisk together until smooth.

Start the rice, either the bag kind or regular, whichever. The rice will be done around the same time as your stir fry.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add a few swirls of olive oil and brown the meat of your choice. Once it is browned and not quite done, remove from skillet and set aside.
Throw in veggies and cook about 5 minutes until they start to soften. Add meat back in, mix well with veggies. Pour in sauce (first 5 ingredients) and stir/toss to coat well. Cook about 5 more minutes - if you are using chicken, make sure it is done before moving to the next step.

When you are ready to serve (meaning the rice is done) pour cornstarch/water mixture in and coat until the sauce begins to thicken. It should thicken to look almost like a glaze. Remove from heat.

In a large bowl, place a serving of rice to one side, and a serving of the stir fry to another. Or one on top of the other, whichever you prefer. I use a large bowl because I hate chasing my food around a plate. I am the same way with pasta. It seems rice and pasta just spread all over the plate and I have a harder time getting it onto my fork! That is never a good thing.

(i didn't have bell pepper or carrot. but you get the idea)

I was at the grocery store the other day and walked by a new creation that I just had to try out.

Lee added this to his dish, but I found the sauce was spicy enough on it's own.

No comments: