Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Lee's Favorite Roasted Chicken

Roasted Chicken is a mystery to me. I tried so many times to roast a whole chicken, and that is very difficult. The outside browns, the inside doesn't cook evenly.. a mess.
So one time I tried just roasting leg quarters and found I was on to something.
I have tinkered and played with roasted chicken over and over and finally have it down. Lee always enjoys this meal and it is easy and pretty healthy.

Roasted Chicken and Vegetables

Ingredients:
4 chicken quarters
Potatoes (either a few handfuls of the tiny red ones, or a few biggers ones cut into smallish cubes)
Carrots (either some baby carrots or 3-4 carrots sliced into chunks)
1 onion, cut into large slices
Something green (asparagus, green beans, snow peas, etc)
1/4 cup chicken stock (or water works)
Fresh rosemary, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
Butter (1/2 stick...)

Oven: 425

Directions:
Drizzle some olive oil in the bottom of a roasting pan. Add potatoes, carrots, and onions. Place the chicken on top of the veggies and drizzle with a little oil. Season to your liking. Cut butter into little slices and place around the pan. Pour the chicken stock around the edges of the pan (careful not to wash the seasonings off the chicken).

Bake for about 30 minutes and check the chicken - you should be able to smell it around now. Once you think the chicken is about done, throw your green veggie in and roast about 10 - 15 minutes more. Now is also the time to throw the bread in the oven if you are serving some.

This is the tricky thing to roasting chicken. You have to figure out the timing. Normally, I budget about 45 minutes for the meal to cook, but sometimes it's more (bigger chicken?).

Tonight I tried 400 Convection Roast and my-o-my I will never go back! It cooked fast, even, and tasted wonderful!! My green veggie tonight was snow peas because there they were at the front of the store smiling at me. I have been looking for them in the frozen section for MONTHS! And here they were fresh... so crisp and good.

No comments: