Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Shrimp Tacos

Tuesday, April 7, '09

Last night was one of those - throw it in a skillet and see how it works - nights. We initially planned fish tacos for dinner, but when at the store, the shrimp were on sale! I love shrimp. My dream day would be to sit and peel-and-eat shrimp all day with a vat of red sauce and some Landshark beer. I may be strange, but I like hot shrimp. Not cold. I rarely get shrimp cocktail. When I go out for peel and eats, they are always cold and hard to peel. No thanks! I like mine right out of the pot.

With the help of a little store-bought-pico, I made guacamole with 2 avacados, some minced garlic, and lime juice and a spoonful of pico.
I squeezed one small lime over the shrimp and left them in a baggy for about 20 minutes. The edges turned a little pink from the acid, but it was fine.
I stared by sauteing about 1/2 a large sweet onion in evoo with a little minced garlic. Once that got really soft and cooked down (and Lee finally got home) I threw in the shrimp with a little butter, red pepper flakes, and several shakes of Chipotle Tabasco sauce. Maybe a pinch of salt...
Meanwhile, I made my corn tortillas. Don't be afraid of doing this, it is very easy. I got a tortilla press at Target for about $20 and all you do is buy a bag of Masa Harina (next to the corn meal) and mix 1 cup masa, 1/2 cup water, and 1/8 teaspoon salt. Roll it in a ball and press it with the tortilla press. I put a little plastic wrap on the press to keep it from sticking. Then throw in a hot (preferably cast iron) skillet with some veggie oil...I put a paper towel in the tortilla warmer to help absorb any oil.

Once all that was done, I put everything on the table with some monterrey jack cheese, the guac, the extra pico, and some sour cream. I also shook a little more tabasco on for fun...

That's it! This is one of those things that you add / take away as you like.

Tonight: Dinner at my favorite foodie's house, Jennifer (and Dave) Massey. She is roasting some potatoes and a pork loin. I will snap a photo and see if she has a recipe to share. You can check out her blog here: http://twopartyplanners.blogspot.com/

She doesn't blog enough, btw. :)

1 comment:

The Riddle Family said...

OH MY GOD. I AM DROOLING. That looks SO good. I am totally making that next week!!!